Unfortunately, active shooters in public areas have been something that everyday people have been forced to deal with. If you found yourself in such a situation, would you know what to do to give yourself the best chance to make it out alive? Former CIA officer Jason Hanson is here with a few tips and tricks that could help save your life.
- Keep your head up when you’re out and about. Walking while doing things like text messaging mean your eyes are pointed downward, and you’re unable to be aware of what’s happening around you.
- When entering a public space, always identify two exits. You may need another way out if one is blocked off.
- Don’t always follow the crowd, people may not be paying attention to where they are going. Make sure the direction you’re headed is safe.
- Block doors to secure yourself if you can. You can use a belt or a bag strap to tie door handles together.
- If the shooter corners you in a small room, you may have to rush them and attack to escape. Use any items nearby as a weapon if you can. You can strike weak places such as the throat or groin to incapacitate them.